The Sisters of Life is a contemplative/active religious community of women founded in 1991 by John Cardinal O’Connor for the protection and enhancement of the sacredness of every human life.
Like all religious communities, they take the three traditional vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. The Sisters of Life also are consecrated under a special, fourth vow to protect and enhance the sacredness of human life.
Sr. Veronica and Sr. Mercy of the Sisters of Life join me on The Dignity of Women podcast. This podcast was a special treat because I was able to visit the Sisters in their Yonkers, NY convent and record in person! Amidst the joy and laughter that filled the time we spent together, there were deep messages shared by the Sisters that are necessary for us to hear and to ponder.
The witness of religious Sisters in our culture is certainly a testimony to the love of Christ, through his brides, which is unlike any other witness on earth. I felt that it was imperative to welcome Sr. Veronica and Sr. Mercy on a podcast dedicated to the dignity and worth of women.
Especially a woman’s heart – When she knows she’s loved she can do anything! She can run free.”
- What is the need for a religious order dedicated to life?
- Sr. Veronica and Sr. Mercy share their personal vocation stories.
- How do the Sisters of Life care for the mother as well as the baby of women in crisis pregnancies?
- Sharing the biggest surprises of religious life and this particular ministry of working with women.
- How the outward sign of “bride of Christ” influences the culture.
- Most important things a woman who is struggling to love herself needs to hear.
LINKS AND RESOURCES
- John Cardinal O’Connor: A Tribute to the Founder of the Sisters of Life
- The Beauty of One Soul: A documentary film of the Sisters of Life
- Holy Respite: Manhattan Maternity Home
- Visitation Mission – Pregnancy Help
- Villa Maria Guadalupe – Retreats (The Stamford, Connecticut retreat house hosts Evenings of Recollection, educational seminars on life issues and retreats on Theology of the Body, Young Adult Retreats, Post-Abortion Healing, and the Dignity and Vocation of Women).
- Hope and Healing After Abortion (The Sisters host monthly Days of Prayer and Healing, monthly Gatherings, and Hope and Healing Weekend Retreats. These events are opportunities to experience the loving mercy of God in a safe and sacred space.)
- Evangelization (The Sisters are currently accepting a limited number of requests, both local and out of town.)
- Family Life/Respect Life Office (Since 2002, the Sisters of Life, have been serving as the Director and/or the Respect Life Coordinators in the New York Archdiocesan Family Life/Respect Life Office.)